Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Do You Want to Get Well?

I (Sherry) have been sick for quite some time now. Seriously, I can not remember the last time I have felt this awful. My first round of sniffles and deep cough resulted in obtaining a Z-Pac from my doctor. Faithfully, I took all the pills and well, never really felt completely myself but, did feel better than before I started the drugs. Now, just a couple of weeks later, I am again on a Z-Pac.

Do I want to get well? Without a doubt -- a RESOUNDING yes! I lack energy, got blisters up my nose, my head still hurts, and I'm still coughing. As I struggle with getting well, I find my hopes in a little pill that is suppose to help get me back on my feet. It's not working.

I was thinking the other morning...how much do I want to get well and had but one answer, "MORE THAN ANYTHING!"

"Really?" an instant-thought message in my brain recanted.

I knew exactly where my thought processes were headed. In the craziness of the past several months, I reflected on my eating habits -- deplorable. Always on the run, I just grabbed what was convenient and available--mainly junk. Empty calories, high sugar, diet pop, and fast food. My sleep patterns can only be summed up with one word -- depreviation. And exercise - with a physical education degree one would think -- nope, not even a slow walk yet alone a brisk one. I must admit these things are still a large part of my life right now as I write, yet I SAY I am willing to do anything to get well.

Really?

I am not much different than the man by the pool of Bethesda (John 5:1-9). It was too much work for the crippled man to get to the pool when Jesus asked him, "Do you want to get well?"

Now I hear Jesus asking me, "Do you want to get well, Sherry?"

My answer is yes, but I realize this will take much more work than popping a small pill. It will take DISCIPLINE to actually grocery shop and choose good food, it will take TIME to rest, and it will take EFFORT to exercise. I have sown a pattern of destruction since August and am reaping with the worst health I have had in a long time. But I ask...

How MUCH do I want to get well?

More than anything...so I am off to the grocery store!

Learning the hard way,

Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment